Food for thoughts on Smart City
Smart cities unfold various approaches and opportunities. Multiple paths can be followed as show these notes from conferences on smart city:
Smart city or collaborative city?
- Shall we aim at smarter cities or smarter citizens? We should increase citizen awareness with familiar language; the use of digital polls enables sharing on a daily basis with citizen;
- Smart city is a co-construction project involving its inhabitants, driven by usage;
- Now we talk about collaborative cities. This is the area we need to work on. Now we talk more about city and people, and people empowerment in particular;
- Ordinary city-dwellers can use networked informatics beneficially, to support collective intelligence in smart city
- ICT can enable people-based infrastructures, provide better wealth, and monitor social mood and wellness.
Tech city or frugal city?
- Smart city or ingenious and slick city? Medellin shows that low tech can turn a city smart, with frugal incremental innovation;
- Smart city is a city where digital is involved in every function, and sensors cover and connect all networks (energy, water, transportation, lighting, ...);
- Let's start by focusing on simple meaningful evolutions to make a better city life, leveraging collective intelligence;
- Unglamorous tech underwriting citizen participation in smart city result in better outcomes than high-tech chimeras
- Smart city and sustainability : let's burn more brain to consume less natural resources;
- Happy citizen with minimum resources: this is my definition of Smart city.
Smart city' data
- We should move from transport-thinking to mobility of people, goods, and information;
- Data is an infrastructure in the smart city, think of self-driving cars!
- From silos to interconnection, new players are rising in smart cities and its data: data browsers, data broker, trusted 1/3 parties;
A hoslistic view
- With Smart city and e-Health, there is the idea of improving life with the Internet of Things;
- Can smart city unearth solutions for daily nuisances? Noise, cleaniness, rude relationship?
- Smart city is about crossing domains to let unrivaled solutils soar: real estate, mobility and transport time management, smart grid,...
Innovative services' examples for urban life and mobility
- How much time from point A to point B: Singapore has developed the corresponding dynamic map;
- A parking place in Paris, for now or for rental: have you tried @YesPark_Paris ?
- Review of smart parkings and smart solutions for cars;
- SmartWalk (by @transitscreen) displays real time transit information on any sidewalk or wall;
- Transportation, parkings, touristical information, social tips: a comprehensive smart city platform for mobile, tablet, and PC access, at the city of Perpignan Méditerranée;
- A mobile app for personal and contextual assistance at the city of Bordeaux, based on open data;
- 3cixty lets you see the city with your eyes;
- We Feel Fine: make you feel the mood of the city through Tweets analysis;
- GuidemeRight let you find a local friend that will guide you into the city lifestyle you like;
- Earn points for each 'green' action: this is how it works at Fujisawa, Songdo, and Masdar;
- Instant System let cities set-up a multimodal app including trains, tramways, buses, subways, and car pooling to help their citizen navigate in the city.
And you, what are your ideas for smart city?